Beauty, Hair + Health
- Art Direction + text by James Kershaw - Photographs + Digital Art by C Side Photography - Model Andrew H at phabrik model + artist management The ensuite is becoming the new male room as more men discover the benefits of caring for their skin. Products that treat, protect and rejuvenate are available for all areas head to toe. They now demand products that go beyond the basics to enhance the effects of items they are already using for skin cleansing, hydration and comfortable shaving. Twenty-first century males are seeking problem solvers for anti-aging, wrinkle reduction, and fatigue fighting. Specialty items for the vulnerable eye area that reduce under eye darkness and puffiness, formulas for dark spot correction (hyperpigmentation) caused by sun exposure and wrinkle reducing serums that supplement their daily regimen.
- Text + art direction: James Kershaw - Photography + digital art: C Side Photography Beauty Boosters Serums are the cosmetic industry’s beauty boosters. The Europeans were the first to appreciate the benefits that serums offer, now every major cosmetic house globally is introducing the concept of serums to their clientele. Serums supplement the daily skin care regimen and boost the efficacy of other skin preparations since they contain a much higher concentration of active ingredients than regular creams or lotions. Serums are an efficient way to customize any beauty program to the changing needs of the skin whether due to environmental factors, health, stress or the effects of aging. Clarins Paris, a pioneer in the development of specialized serums, launches Double Serum Complete Age Control Concentrate. This next generation of serums combines a lipidic (oil) + hydric (water) system housed in a bottle with a dispensing system designed to deliver the ideal blend of both. The formula contains twenty plant extracts the house chose for their exceptional performance in stimulating the five vital functions of the skin, nutrition, oxygenation, regeneration, protection and hydration. The formula was designed to be effective for all skin types beginning at age twenty five. Elizabeth Arden New York’s Visible Difference Optimizing Skin Serum contains a retinyl complex that gently retexturizes and renews skin’s clarity as it evens skin tone optimizing the effect of the daily skin care regimen. The serum is suitable for all skin types including sensitive. Prevage Anti-aging + Intensive Repair Daily Serum promises to improve the appearance of fine lines and “lift” the look of the skin within fifteen minutes of application. This new formula combines Idebenone with Arazine which helps to minimize the visible signs of aging caused by cellular inflammation. Nuxelle Jeunesse Youth and Radiance Revealing Fluid by Nuxe Paris is referred to by the house as the first “floral battery’’ that repairs Mitochondrial DNA to reveal skin’s youth and visibly recharge the complexion’s radiance. Passion Flower extract, Anchusa extract, rich in poly phenols and Poppy extract, obtained from organic poppy petals aids in cellular nutrition. This serum may be used by normal or combination skins on its own or in conjunction with daily skincare for dry or very dry skins by women of all ages. Visionary Care The delicate skin of the eye is one of the first areas to show signs of fatigue and the effects of aging. There are a variety of eye treatments available now to address these symptoms which include puffiness, dark circles, fine lines and crows feet. Eye treatments need to be both gentle for this often sensitive area, yet rich enough to nourishan area with virtually no natural protection. Featured here are some recently introduced products as well as a few tried and true classics. Clarins Paris’ Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate treats the mature eye from temple to temple, targeting frown lines, puffiness, dark circles and crows feet, while the skin care authority’s Eye Contour Gel is the ideal first eye treatment for the younger set just starting to think about age prevention. Clinique’s new Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle Correcting Eye Cream builds natural elastin to visibly reduce wrinkles, improve texture and repair UV damage. The brand claims up to a 54% decrease in smile lines around the eyes. The Prevage Anti-Aging Eye Serum claims to not only minimize fine lines, deeper wrinkles, darkness and puffiness, but to diminish discolouration and age spots due to sun damage, resulting in a brighter, firmer and lifted appearance. All eye preparations should be applied with gentle pressing or tapping motions avoiding pulling or stretching of the delicate tissue around the eyes. Of course no eye treatment can be fully effective if the area is being harshly handled or aggressively cleansed. Products developed specifically for the area should always be used to supplement and fortify the positive effects of creams, gels and serums. Prebiotic Micellar Water by Canadian beauty maven Lise Watier is a no rinse eye and face cleanser to utilize **prebiotic sugars with the shield effect of Teflose. **Prebiotic molecules are sugars that stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria needed to balance out natural skin flora. In June, Clarins Paris will launch two newly reformulated eye make up removers, one for waterproof eye make up and the Gentle Eye Make-up Remover featured. The Gentle Eye Make-up remover contains certified organic cornflower and rose floral waters with chamomile extract obtained through organic farming. Clarins also added D-Panthenol to help protect and strengthen lashes.
- Makeup + styling by James Kershaw - Photographs + Digital Art by C Side Photography - Models Kelsey Kelsey A, Rachel A at PHABRIK model & artist management Lip Service What’s on every body’s lips this season? Anything they desire. Whether seeking a high gloss or a sophisticated satin finish, full coverage or a sheer tint, bold brights, pretty pastels or natural nudes, cosmetic houses have responded with a variety of products to enhance the smile. Clinique’s new Chubby Stick Intense Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm with mango and shea butter is a medium coverage companion to the brand’s hugely popular original sheer version. Jane Iredale’s PureGloss is newly reformulated and repackaged available in eighteen shades including seven of her best sellers from it’s previous incarnation. The house of Burberry took their cue from their spring/summer 2013 Burberry Prorsum runway presentation, which showed a glowing complexion, a nearly nude eye with emphasis on the lips. Burberry Beauty’s Lip Glow in Mallow Pink or Coral are certainly on trend. Clarins Paris introduces their first age-defying lipstick. Rouge Eclat`s formula, available in fifteen colours, contains a combination of mimosa, jojoba and sunflower pure plant waxes along with phytosphingosine which protects against dehydration, boosts collagen synthesis and fights the formation of fine lines. Look for the house’s limited edition Instant Smooth Crystal Lip Gel, available in late May to add a brilliant glow to your summer makeup. Smooth Operators A beautiful, luminous and smooth complexion is the goal for many and cosmetic houses have stepped up, offering a variety of options to achieve just that. Perfect and protect with Clinique’s Even Better Compact Make up SPF15 or Clarins’ BB Cream Skin Perfecting Cream SPF25. Add a fresh healthy glow with the limited edition Lise Watier Pink Power blush and Pastel Power Illuminating Beads or Clarins’ limited edition Palette Eclat Face + Blush powder compact. Seeking a radiant sun-kissed glow? Clarins’ limited edition Splendours Summer Bronzing Compact will arrive in stores in May. OptimEYES Audacious brights, soft feminine pastels, and high contrast black and white shadows are prevalent this season. Extravagantly lined eyes are everywhere. The reason? Couture houses continuing fascination with the 50‘s and 60’s and many designers penchant for all things Asian. Achieved with liquid or pencil liners, and complemented with dense, full lush lashes achieved with multiple coats of mascara such as Clinique’s High Impact Waterproof mascara. Lids are swept with aqueous blues and greens from houses such as Jane Iredale and Lise Watier or black and white accented with Iris and taupe from Clarins. Making it easy to optimize your most expressive feature.
Angelo Seminara was first introduced into the world of hair at the young age of 11 in his hometown in Southern Italy. He started off as a trainee in a barbershop and then 5 years later made the move to Rome with London always in the back of his mind. Following a move to London in 1995 Angelo became Trevor Sorbie’s protégé and International Creative Director. He then chose to work on his freelance career and in 2011 became the Artistic Director for Davines. Davines is a natural based hair care line made in Parma Italy, that has been evolving into an international family owned brand that strives to balance beauty and sustainability in all that they do. Today the company is a cosmopolitan and pioneering company that offers hairdressers and their clients the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, multicultural community and unique brand lifestyle. Angelo’s refined taste, spirit of research and love for nature, is a perfect match to Davines’ philosophy of Sustainable Beauty. In his role Angelo Seminara interprets the Davines vision of beauty and directs their hair image, influencing techniques and style. Davines institutional collections bear his signature, he stars in numerous international shows, in addition to making his talent and experience available to the company for teaching courses and the development of new products. In Western Canada we are very fortunate to have the Western Canada Davines Session Team who as of late got to par take in hands on cutting and editorial styling with the Art Director himself. Currently the co-ordinator of the team Chantal Girard is collaborating with Tony Ricci to bring Angelo back to the West to do an editorial avant garde styling class at Ricci’s new Academy in Edmonton, along with a cutting class and Flamboyage color classes with Angelo’s colorist Edoardo Paludo, which will take place at various Edmonton based salons. May 25-29 members of The Western Canada Session Team will also watch Angelo at Davines’ World Wide Hair Tour in Paris. He will also be doing a North American tour in 2013 and stopping in Seattle, New York, Nashville, Toronto, and Minneapolis. Angelo has widely been considered a star of international hair styling with accolades such as British Hairdresser of the year in 2007, 2010, and most recent 2012. In 2011-2012 also won AIPP Grand Trophy, as a session hair stylist Angelo is also involved with at least 30 international shows in Paris, New York, London, and Milan. His work can also be seen in fashion magazines such as Harpers Bazaar, Vanity Fair, Italian Vogue, Mixte, Spanish Vogue, Turkish Vogue, Korean Vogue, Japanese Numero, Io Donna, Another Man, Sunday Times, Dazed and Confused,Grazia, Q Magazine, Mojo, Evening Standard, Hello Magazine. His latest exhibitions with Chloe and Selfridges are definitely something to see. For more on Angleo Seminara visit his web site @ www.angeloseminara.com
- By James Kershaw - Photographs + Digital Art by Supa-F Photography Precious Powders Cosmetic houses launch exclusive limited edition compacts each season providing the “must have it first” beauty shopper with something extra special. Clarins Paris’ Colour Accents gleaming gold compact houses a radiance enhancing blush+ powder combination imprinted with a modern geometric pattern.Yves Saint Laurent’s exquisite Palette Couture Powder can highlight, bronze or contour the face depending on skintone. Those seeking a shimmering visage for holiday festivities can check out Anna Sui Cosmetic’s Rose Face Powder compact when it arrives in stores late November. Conceal + Perfect Everybody craves beautiful, flawless skin. Featured here are just a few of the newest concealing and perfecting products launching this autumn. Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfecting Makeup (matte finish and oil free) and Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector (with it’s always cool, puffiness reducing applicator) from cosmetic giant Clinique, Zap&Hide Blemish Concealer from Jane Iredale not only camouflages but also treats with anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory agents and beneficial botanicals. Giorgio Armani Cosmetics launches Maestro Fusion Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF15, a foundation and BB cream hybrid that promises a natural looking flawless complexion launching at Holt Renfrew stores in October. Skincare and makeup powerhouse Clarins Paris offers Skin Illusion Loose Powder Foundation SPF10 which combines the coverage of a foundation with the lightness of a loose powder to give the illusion of a flawless, bare skin. Treat + Correct On occasion the complexion requires a more intense level of treatment and care. Environmental factors and stress can contribute to the loss of radiance and age the appearance of the skin, this is when cosmetic specialists turn to deep penetrating oils and serums for treatment and correction. Shu Uemura’s Tsuya Skin Youthful Radiance Generator was developed to promote the six key parameters for ideal or “tsuya” skin, smoothness, refined pores, translucence, even tone, fine texture and good colour. Clarins Paris’ new Hydra Quench Bi-Serum Intensif will restore a youthful radiance to dehydrated skin with omega 3 rich rich Inca Peanut oil, Hyaluronic Acid and fair-trade sourced Katafray Bark extract. Visible Difference Optimizing Skin Serum is part of Elizabeth Arden New York’s completely revitalized, reformulated and repackaged cosmetic range updated for the 21st century beauty consumer. Anna Sui (who has attained an almost cult status in Asian markets) offers Rose Treatment Oil which emits a subtle yet intoxicating rose scent. Reveal + Brighten Complexions always look their best with regular exfoliation. Dead skin removal allows the skin to absorb precious moisture and to maintain a youthful radiance. Featured on this page a couple of the best. Elizabeth Arden’s Visible Difference Peel & Reveal Revitalizing Mask and Nuxe Paris introduces their seven item alcohol and soap free cleansing range fortified with the beneficial properties of Damascena Rose. The Smell of Success Fragrance houses often launch new versions of successful scents. Featured here are three established scents now available in new forms and one making it’s debut this season. The wildly successful Aura by Swarovski is now available in a lighter Eau de Toilette version along with the originally launched Eau de Parfum, Burberry has also launched a lighter EDT version of their own uber successful Burberry Body scent. The house of Thierry Mugler reinterprets their hugely popular scent Alien with Alien Essence Absolue Eau de Parfum, a more intense version of the original. Boucheron, the world renowned jewelry house introduces Jaipur Bracelet Eau de Parfum, a woody floral inspired by the pink city of Rajasthan. Prime + Protect BB creams aka beauty balms and primers are two of the newer beauty aids on the market. The rapidly expanding range of products include new additions from Jane Iredale, one in each category. Smooth Affair Facial Primer & Brightener promises to even skin tone, minimize the appearance of pores all while increasing luminosity and providing easier makeup application with long wear. the line’s Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream incorporates natural minerals that conceal imperfections,minimize pores, smooth and brighten the skin all with the benefits of a broad spectrum SPF 25 to protect from UV and free radical damage. Pure Finish Mineral Tinted Moisture Cream SPF15 by Elizabeth Arden provides sheer natural coverage with a radiant finish, their Visible Difference Good Morning Retexturizing Primer has a blend of vitamin A and botanical extracts which helps makeup to apply smoothly.
- Makeup + styling by James Kershaw - Photographs by Supa-F Photography - Model Kelsey Neutral Territory Earthy neutrals, whether matte or gleaming with flecks of gold are the perfect choice to compliment the array of ivory, buff and camel hued garments so prevalent this season. Shown here are some of the best cosmetic examples of this warm, wearable palette. Some Like it Haute The hautest cosmetic colours of the season are actually tres cool. Blue tinged greys, plums and aubergines make eyes smolder, mauvy pinks light up the cheeks. Lips are luxurious, laquered in deep cherry, bordeaux and crimson.
- Photography/Digital Art: studio-e.ca - Art Direction: James Kershaw Homme Scents Each season cosmetic and fragrance houses around the globe launch new scents to tempt the consumer.These scents may be completely new or reinterpretations of existing ones. Spicebomb by Victor & Rolf is a new companion scent to the design duo’s Flowerbomb scent for women the house launched in 2005. Burberry has created a limited edition version of their classic Burberry Brit men’s scent, Brit summer edition will be available until July. The house of Thierry Mugler presents A*MEN Pure Shot, this limited edition scent is comprised of exotic ingredients such as freezing mint, juniper berry and sequoia. Represented by Oscar Pistorius, this record holding 24 year old Paralympics sprinter runs on black carbon fibre prosthetics due to a double leg amputation and has qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics to be held in London. The fragrance is meant to incarnate the athlete’s powerful strength and desire for victory. Scent of a Woman The fragrance industry is always in a constant state of change. Every season a mind boggling array of completely new or fresh versions of existing scents is introduced into the marketplace. Three of the scents featured are from renowned fashion houses. Elie Saab gained worldwide notoriety when Halle Berry wore the designer to the Academy Awards the year she won the first best actress Oscar awarded to a black actress.The house’s first fragrance was successfully launched in 2011. Burberry, the historic British fashion house recognized for the development of the trench coat and an iconic plaid, is introducing a limited edition of their Burberry Body scent,, an alcohol free body mist. Anna Sui, the New York based designer known for her free spirited collections is adding to her Secret Wish collection of fragrances with Fairy Dance, a fruity, floral, musky scent. Two of the fragrances are from houses known for primarily for footwear, Jimmy Choo and Nine West. Jimmy Choo expands their collection by introducing a lighter Eau de Toilette version of their first scent launched last year. Love Fury marks Nine West’s initial foray into the world of fragrance, the woody, floral, oriental scent is housed in a bottle cleverly topped with a stiletto shaped stopper. Swarovski synonymous with everything crystal, launches the limited edition Aura by Swarovski Collection Mariage, a light Eau de Toilette (shown),along with a crystal studded collectors edition bottle, a perfumed hair mist and a crystal embellished lip gloss compact.
- Photography/Digital Art: studio-e.ca - Art Direction: James Kershaw There is a constant struggle to maintain an adequate hydration level in the skin. The effects of extreme weather conditions,(all too familiar to Canadians), central heating and air conditioning all contribute to skin’s water loss. These not only contribute to the feeling of discomfort, but also the visible signs of too little water in the skin’s surface layers, such as fIne lines, a dull appearance, and flakiness. The beauty industry has responded with a vast array of potions, lotions and elixirs to help alleviate the problem. Clarins, long known for their expertise in all things relating to beauty are relaunching their Face Treatment Oils. Introduced in the mid 1960’s and unchanged in formula since then, they are composed of aromatic essential oils and plant extracts to aid in rebalancing the skin. The newly repackaged oils (the 30ml. bottle now comes with a dropper to precisely measure the amount needed ) will be at Clarins counters nationwide in April. Clinique, another renowned skin care company recently introduced Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydrator for very dry and delicate skin. The product helps to correct and maintain the moisture barrier allowing the skin to retain an elevated level of hydration. Comfort zone, a well known spa line of skin treatments offers hydramemory fluid 24h, which helps to maintain an ample moisture level in the epidermis for up to 24 hours. A lack of water in the skin is a problem that can occur at any age. A loss of firmness is characterized by skin slackening, a loss of elasticity, and the appearance of wrinkles and usually affects women in their forties. Clarins introduces new Extra Firming Day and Night Creams in two formulas, one for dry skins, one for all skin types and is available nationwide now. Clinique’s newest age fighter was also developed to fight the loss of firmness, their Repairwear Uplifting firming cream is used morning and evening after your appropriate 3-step skin care regimen and is also available in two formulas.